Friday, January 28, 2011

the ultimate yogi


do not try this at home...felines have a VERY flexible spine

I know, she may not look it, and she may not know it, but my cat Linxie...is a yogi.
Now, if you’re not a cat person, please don’t dismiss this post as a gushing declaration of feline-love. It’s no secret that I love the little fur-ball, but the kid has certainly taught me a lot this week.

It’s been a challenging week for me (Joanna). Among other things, I’m still mending a weak wrist, plus as I write this post, our site is still down. (If you're looking for the current class schedule, I've posted it here, until the site is up) And if you’re a small business owner, you know there is potential for lost business there...so, ya...NOT cool.

Back to Linxie. I sometimes fleetingly wish, on especially challenging days that I could switch places with her, for a few hours. Heck yes I’ll sleep 4 hours on a pile of newly washed laundry that hasn’t been put away yet! But mostly, I admire the yogic qualities of my four-legged friend. Here’s why:

She’s got the best downward facing dog (adho mukha svanasana) I’ve ever seen...paws planted, waist and hips draw up and back...so good...

She
listens to her body. If you live with a cat, you know that they don’t mess around when they’re tired; they will cut you off, walk over you, pay you no mind and ignore you...and bee-line to their bed. (Same goes when they are hungry).

One pointed awareness. Ever see a cat prowl after something? When Linxie locks her gaze on a spider, she will stalk that thing until she gets it. You can call her name a million times, you might see her ears radar in your direction, but her eyes will never leave the 8-legged arachnid. There is no distractions or chitta vritti (chatter of the mind) here.

Because Linx is an indoor cat, she doesn’t get out much. But sometimes we treat her, and bring her to my parents’ who have a nice big yard where she can play outside. In warmer months, she loves to smell the grass and dirt, chase the things that fly and just generally
slow down to marvel and appreciate nature. Dogs too, right?

Show love with honesty and openness...no inhibitions . My feline friend will act a fool for love. No doubt your companion has their own coming home ceremony just for you. Mine does this thing where she stands in your way, lets her legs buckle and rolls uncontrollably for about a minute until you say hello. If you don’t say hello, the purrs turns to a fever pitch, until she squeaks, as if to say, uhm...hellooo, can’t you see me??

So, you see, every day, I am reminded that living yoga is something that happens off the mat. And yoga teachers, come in all shapes, sizes and furriness.

namaste Linxie, namaste.


notice the cat bed underneath the human chair



No comments:

Post a Comment