Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To truly live



Pura Vida...ahh the two words my boyfriend and I (Mia) kept hearing on our recent trip to Costa Rica. Meaning pure life, these two words are used by Costa Ricans in every single conversation. Given the privilege to spend some time there getting to know the country and its people, I quickly realized that this is not just a phrase that's blurted out every so often, but its really a chosen way of life for the locals.

I recently watched phenomenal video which spoke about the 'happiness index' see here. As it turns out Costa Ricans are some of the happiest people in the world. Their secret? They use little, don't take more then they need, and spend time and energy cultivating meaningful relationships instead of cultivating material wealth. It really is no surprise that so many people go there looking for a relaxing vacation and end up calling it their new home. During our trip we met numerous people from North America and Europe that have permanently moved there. And I can't help but conclude that the reason many make the decision to jump ship, other than the tropical climate, is that Costa Ricans live their life with the kind of awareness and engagement in every day life that is nothing but inspirational.

Throughout my trip I saw many things that took my breath away and beauty that literally brought me to tears, but one place that was the highlight of the trip is a little eco lodge called La Cusinga, see here. I promise they didn't pay me to blog about them, instead its the kind of place I'm proud to share with all you fine people. Not only did I fall in love with the place itself, but also with each person I came in contact with. It didn't take long before I stopped feeling like a visitor and right at home.

The reason this place is so special to me is because its a prime example of how a business can be responsible with everything it comes in contact with, live in harmony with its surroundings and thrive all at the same time. Im not going to get into how they do all that, you'll just have to go there and see for yourself. But what I will say is that all of us can learn from their success that comes from nothing but unwavering commitment to who they are and what they stand for. I guess being a business owner myself I get very inspired when I come in contact with individuals who don't measure success by their bottom line but by the level of authenticity and full self expression that goes into every part of what they do. I'd like to express my full gratitude to everyone at La Cusinga for being such a great example for me and many others of what it means to truly live in harmony.

P.S. Did I mention that they have a Yoga studio overlooking the rainforest and the Pacific Ocean. I'm thinking we might have possibly found our next Yoga retreat spot.

We found this in our room at La Cusinga...couldn't have said it better myself.

Nothing like the Pacific sunset.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mia!
    Thank you for sharing this...Costa Rica is on my bucket list of places to experience in this life-time.
    Pura Vida!

    ReplyDelete