Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breathe. If you know that's good for ya.

I hate planes. I, Joanna hates planes. Wait, let me re-phrase, I hate riding in planes, jumbo-jets, single engine Cessnas, anything that takes my feet off the ground. Blame it on my yogic path that teaches me to “ground”, that I need to feel earth underneath me, supporting me, instead of being a gazillion miles below, separated by checked-in baggage and air…lots and lots of air.

So, last month I got hitched, and instead of a having a lavish affair here in hot, humid Toronto, we wed, Pacific shore side in hot humid Panama. It was great, and I felt so blessed to have my close friends and family there to celebrate with us.

Having the wedding of my dreams (and yes, it was) in Central America however, entailed having to get on Boeing 747, or 649, or whatever kind of plane it was, to get to my destination. A small price to pay right?

I should back-track a little…no, I am not deathly afraid of flying, nor do I pop pills to zonk out during the flight. Flying is just…so damn uncomfortable…right? It didn’t help that I was stuck in between two guys (my husband, and his friend Dan) who’s god-given shoulders cannot respect my personal space (or arm-rest). Not their fault. Since I’m the “shrimp” I apparently don’t have any rights to the aisle or the window seat. It also doesn’t help that the plane’s recycled air, constantly smelled like a soup of industrial cleaning product, airplane food and that undeniable fuselage scent.

So the flight to Panama City is about 5 and change hours from Pearson, and about 30 minutes in, I’m already sick of the plane. I’m annoyed, thrashing around, tired and just generally grossed out from being on the plane. I’m also super annoyed that JP and Dan both have their head-sets in, thoroughly enjoying the gags Just for Laughs they are playing on the little monitor in front of us. How dare you be so… so CONTENT!!?

2 hours in, I’m ready to pull out my own eye-lashes, and so I get up to do some stretches in the back of the plane. Yes, I bust out a couple yoga moves to stretch out my lower back (uttanasana) and shoulders (garudasana arms) and I instantly feel better, almost in a quantifiable way. I get back to my seat, and I’m not that annoyed anymore, and I actually take out my headphones to join JP and Dan to watch an episode of Two and Half Men and guess what…I actually laugh.

Not wanting to revert to my old miseries, I decide that to keep my sanity I needed to do some more yoga. But this time, I’d stay in my seat.

I spent the next half hour or so in my seat, eyes closed just breathing. No fancy pranayama. Just me – inhales and exhales. When I was through, I put on my sweater and read my gratuitous chick-lit book, calmly, all the way to Panama City airport.

I tell you this little anecdote to illustrate how wonderful the breath truly is. In yoga, it is THE tool, the common denominator we use to connect body, mind and hopefully spirit. One of my teachers calls the breath “the wind in our sails”. Think about that for a second…

As a yoga teacher, it’s my job to get people to not only breathe, but to breathe properly, and effectively. Yeah, that’s right, I see it in your blissed-out eyes after class, you were breathing! Every wonder why yoga feels so good? In addition to the physical benefits of asana, a yoga class encourages you to breathe fully, and completely, which most of us do not do automatically. We are a society of chronic chest breathers.

Did you know that effective breathing actually allows you to eliminate up to 70% of the toxins in your body. Why is this important you ask? Well, because that means your kidneys and adrenal glands can take it easy, and don’t have to work as hard to cleanse your body.

Very cool no?

So start breathing, folks.

Here’s a very simple breathing exercise to help you breathe fully and effectively. You can do this at home, at work, in the park…and of course, on a plane

Start by finding a comfortable sitting or lying position. Close your eyes, and simply start by observing your breath. Breathing in, and out your nostrils. Notice that you are in fact taking breaths in, and out.
Notice the difference of sensation between an inhalation and exhalation. Enjoy both.
Bring awareness to the quality of your breathing; pace, temperature, depth, effort. Try not to judge, just notice.
Then begin to notice where the inhalation goes after it enters your nostrils (where do you feel it in your body? Do you shrug your shoulders upwards when you take a breath in? Does your belly suck in when you inhale?). Do the same with the exhale, where does the breath go?
Now, to deepen your breath: As you inhale, allow your breath to travel into your belly, allowing your belly to gently swell. Keep your shoulders and upper chest quiet as you do this. As you exhale, gently pull your navel in towards your spine as if you were squeezing all of the stale air out from your lungs.
Continue breathing deeply, as you imagine sweeping every inch of your lungs (top to bottom, side to side, front to back).
Let the breath be easy and natural.
If you find this un-natural or difficult, try to stay with it. They don’t call it a yoga practice for nothing.

. (Start with a couple of minutes, building to longer increments of time. If you’ve got respiratory problems, or other health considerations, please be sure to check with your health care provider before doing any pranayama)



And yes...we did yoga on the beach. How can you not breathe, with a view like this






1 comment:

  1. Great post! Its always the simple things in life, that we tend to forget, but make the world of difference.

    ReplyDelete